The Joint Measurement Board was established in 1934. It is a not-for-profit organisation and dedicated to the accurate measuring of horses and ponies for competition.
The JMB system is now paperless. No JMB certificates are issued or updated and all measurements are available for inspection on the JMB online database.
Owners are required to apply and pay for measurements in advance on the JMB website (www.thejmbonline.co.uk)
Key points of the JMB scheme are:
- All horses and ponies must have at least one Annual Certificate before they can have a Full Certificate.
- Annual certificates are issued to animal’s aged 4, 5 and 6-years-old or to any animal over 7-years-old being measured for the first time.
- Measurements can be done at any time of the year but Annual Certificates will expire on the 31st December following the last measurement.
- Measurements must be carried out by Official Measurers.
- Measurements are carried out on registered measuring pads with shoes removed. We have an official pad at Cinder Hill.
- Consecutive measurements must be done by different Measurers.
- The Measurer for a Full Certificate must be from a different veterinary practice from the Measurer for the last Annual Certificate.
- There is a fee to cover the measurement procedure and issuing of a certificate, which has be paid at the time by cheque made payable to JMB Ltd.
- The animal’s passport must be available at the time of measurement, so please ensure it accompanies the animal on the day. Also all animals being measured must have a microchip inserted. This can be done at the time of measuring if required.
- A re-measurement procedure can be used to settle doubts about accuracy.
For further information about the Joint Measurement Board and its panel of Official Measurers, please visit the JMB Website.